This pasta salad is fabulous! And the dressing that you make to go on it is so good, it has become a family favorite for our primary salad dressing!
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (we use organic)
- 1/2 cup Nutiva brand hemp seed oil (or another 1/2 cup of EVOO if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
I simply use a quart mason jar, add all of the dressing ingredients, screw on the lid, and shake like crazy! 😉 Pretty simple! The picture is of how we make it for salad dressing…it keeps for quite a long time in the fridge…but ours tends to disappear pretty quickly!
- 16 ounces whole wheat pasta ( you could use any kind, the elbow seems to work best for us)
- 8 ounces organic mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups thinly sliced red onion
- 2 cups thinly sliced cucumber ( I like to slice it up and then “chunk” it a bit 😉 )
- 1 1/2 cups chopped bell pepper (any color)
- 1/2 cup organic parmesan cheese
- 2 cups quartered cherry tomatoes
After you have chopped all of the veggies, you need to cube the mozzarella into about 1/4 to 1/2 inch cubes, whichever suits you best. You then combine all of the veggies, the cheese, and the dressing into a large bowl and toss until well combined. While you are doing all of this, you could have your pasta boiling on the stove, or just wait and do it after…depends on how much of a hurry you are in 😉
Once the pasta is cooked, drain it and rinse it in cold water to cool it and stop the cooking process. You then combine the pasta with your veggie and dressing mix. Of course, you need to mix it all up again until everything is nicely coated with the yummy dressing.
After that, you can choose to eat it right away, or stick it in the fridge for later…it only gets better as it sets 🙂
Do any of you have a specific salad dressing recipe that you have adopted as a favorite?