Stem Cells – Procedure day and the 2 days following

me and kate 5.23.14 - cropped

Me and Kate after I returned to the hotel after the stem cell procedure! πŸ™‚

I am a bit delayed from updating on the procedure. After much thought and debate, we decided to come home a day early…we felt that I would do a lot better at home in my own bed…and we were right. I slept like a baby last night! That is the first time I have slept through the night since I don’t know when! Just one of the many small changes I have already noticed! But lets not get ahead of ourselves….let’s get back to the stem cell procedure day. πŸ˜‰

I’m not going to sugar coat anything here. I think I would be doing everyone a great injustice if I were to say that this were anything that it wasn’t. So the raw truth is all you are ever going to get from me. I don’t want to offend anyone, dissuade them from the treatment, or anything of that nature…but I am going to tell you EXACTLY how it went/goes for me.

It hurts like hell!! This was probably the worst pain I have ever felt in my life…and I have been through some pretty crazy stuff. On the 1 to 10 scale, I would put it at a 14. Β I think child birth may be a walk in the park after that…I have actually considered having children now. lol

Now…there are many things you have to keep in mind. My body does NOT like anesthesia…local or other…so it was kind of like having it done with a very small amount of numbing, despite the amount that they used. Secondly, I have massively over stimulated nerves all the time right now anyway. It makes my skin VERY sensitive and painful most of the time. Also, I am a real toughy when it comes to every day stuff and things that I do, but let someone else attack me with a needle or anything else thats sharp and I go into baby mode!! On top of all of that, ANY touch to my legs makes them spasm and lock without mercy…so the fact that we ended up doing the lipo on my hips just increased that torment.

On the positive side… my nurse Margaret, was wonderful! Such a sweet woman and a great help to keep me laughing.


All of the other nurses were very kind and comforting as well. And Dr. Ritacca…there is not enough positive things to say about that man! I am so very thankful that the Lord has blessed him with the knowledge and abilities that he has! His bedside manner was amazing, and he was even able to make me laugh as I was crying and screaming like a baby. πŸ˜› I would recommend to anyone I know that is thinking of this treatment, Chicago is the destination! It was definitely worth the trip out there to receive the care that I did!

Now for the procedure…despite the apocolyptic pain, it was pretty straight forward.

  1. I went in and heΒ determined where I had the most usable fat
  2. I got the IV
  3. I went into the room and got numbed up with tumescent (at least we tried)
  4. He lypod out the fat that contains all of those glorious stem cells
  5. I went back into the recovery bays
    [KGVID width=”292″ height=”520″][/KGVID]
  6. In about an hour or so, I received some mannitol
  7. Then they brought me my beautiful vial of STEM CELLS!
  8. They put them into some saline to create the “Miracle Juice”
  9. And then gave them right back to me, via IV. πŸ™‚

The whole process took about 3 to 4 hours.Β And that was it…now we wait on my body to work the magic God gave it. πŸ˜‰


Now for progress updates….

That day:

My legs were incredibly loose before we even left the clinic, and remained that way for the rest of the night, into the next morning…(the have since gotten very spastic again, but we think it is just part of the healing)

Kate told me that my color was much improved and that my eyes looked brighter. She said I didn’t look “sick” anymore.

I was able to stand for quite a while on the sit stand lift while we were still at the clinic and I was changing to come home.

Saturday the 24th:

A lot of stiffness and pain, however…

Vision seemed clearer than before…then I realized my left eye no longer hurt upon rotation and no longer showed signs of impending optic neuritis.

I was singing my heart out in the van on the way back home….and then it hit me…I was SINGING! And then it hit Steven! We were both caught off guard by that. It didn’t even register for a while what was going on that was different! My voice had gotten so weak over the last 6 months or so, that I was unable to get any kind of push from my diaphragm to sing…at times, I couldn’t even talk well. The boys always told me I was talking very quietly. I had to repeat myself a lot. Not anymore! πŸ™‚

I was able to go over 7 hours of the car ride home without needing to pee! That is a miracle in its self!!

Today the 25th:

So far, I haven’t done much. Pretty tired and laid back today. However….

I SLEPT THE WHOLE NIGHT WITHOUT WAKING!! I can’t even remember the last time that happened!! Even when aided with medication! πŸ˜€

I will try to update again if anything else awesome happens today! If not, I will be making another update probably around Tuesday or so. πŸ™‚



  1. I loved Mary, Theressa and the nurses too. I felt the dr R was just as excited as we are to get healthy. I’m so glad they were good to you. Keep healing! Thankyou for sharing.

  2. doin the happy dance! waiting for u to join me! πŸ™‚

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: